Saturday, March 26, 2011

"Building Life One Bottle At A Time" - A Lesson From An Unlikely Teacher.

Today I spoke with this woman. She was looking in recycling bins by my house. I asked if she'd mind telling me what she was looking for. She said liquor/beer bottles. After a brief conversation She shared She's gone through some real rough ish. I asked her why is She walking round collecting bottles from recycling bins. She said to make some doe. I again asked her why? She said she's got to do something to get going and right now this is it. I told her to wait & I'd be back. I went & grabbed some stuff & gave it to her. We shared a smile & we went on our separate paths. No fan fair, no big deal, no you should feel sorry for me. Just a thank you and then back to work she went. I know cause I watched her continue to probe recycling bins.

She doesn't realize that she just had a huge impact on my life. Why? A lesson in the power of a decision & how they always belong to us no matter the circumstance. A lesson in the power of persistence in the face of adversity. A lesson that failure is only permanent if you accept it as such.

She has decided that regardless of what she's been dealt she is going to make life on her terms, that she wasn't going to stay where she was at and that she was going to get to where she was going or die in the process. She decided to rebuild her life one bottle at a time.
Thank you Ma'am for the reminder to decide Thank you for the reminder to persist.

Thank you for the reminder that the answer to this question 'What Excuse Do I Really Have?' is none.


"I will persist until I succeed. I will never consider defeat and I will remove from my vocabuary such words and phrases as quit, cannot, unable , impossible, out of the question, improbable, failure, unworkable, hopeless, and retreat.; for they are the words of fools. I will avoid despair but if this disease of the mind should infect me then I will work on in despair.
I will toil and I will endure. I will ignore the obstacles at my feet and keep mine eyes on the goals above my head, for I know that where dry desert ends, green grass grows.
I will persist until I succeed."

Bless,
Mark Sparks
www.MarkSparks.com

No comments: